Saturday, January 10, 2009

Library Lament

Those of you who know me well, know my near obsession with reading. When I found myself unemployed for three months, I also found myself with ample time to read. However, I no longer had a budget conducive to buying every book I came in contact with. So, I turned to that old, trusted friend: the public library. I hopped the metro downtown one day in late September, got set up with a card from the Central Library and proceeded to check out five books that I had to hand-carry home because I had neglected to bring a bag.

Two days later, I had read all five books and was salivating for more. Due in part to time constraints (because, somehow, I was worried about time when I had nothing to do but job search all day) and laziness (-hint- this was probably the real reason), I went online to find that I could request books from the LA Public Library system and HAVE THEM SENT TO THE BRANCH NEAREST ME. Seeing as the nearest branch is a mere two blocks walk from my house, this was HUGE. I set about requesting every book I had ever thought about reading (well, nearly) and next thing you know, I'm stopping by the library two, three times a week and on a first name basis with the librarians. (Who, bless their little hearts, never seemed to judge me on the *cough, cough* quality of books I was reading.)

The funny thing about requesting books online is, you never know which branch they're coming from, or if they're currently checked out. So, sometimes they'd arrive within the week, and some would take a month or more. Which is how, early in December, I found that I had 21 books waiting for me at my library! The librarians laughed, and told me to pick out ten, that I could come pick up the rest when I was done. Knowing how much space my requests alone were taking up on their limited shelf space behind the desk, I truly appreciated what a magnificent institution the public library was.

And then, I stopped in this past Thursday.

Only to find my two favorite librarians teary-eyed, as they had just learned that their branch, my branch, our branch, is being shut down for construction on February 2nd, and will take anywhere from four to six months to be finished!!! They are brokenhearted. They have no idea where they'll be sent, or when in fact they will be able to return to Felipe de Neve. I feel their pain, my heart is breaking too.

What's a girl to do?!

-k

No comments: